A graphic for a clear and strong message




 

I made this Viz for the #DiversityinData community project. Using the top 100 billionaire dataset.


Idea and design


I decided to focus on gender diversity. The message I wanted to convey was "the gap between women and men".

The message has to be clear, simple and legible at first sight.

okay well, what do I do then?

My first idea was: a simple graphic and color, they have to convey everything in one go!

I immediately thought of a waffle chart, I love these types of charts, they are simple and insightful.

Having a top 100 I decided not to use the classic "waffle chart" construction technique. I played around with the size of the squares and the chart a bit to bring out a waffle . And this is what Defoult looked like.



Well I had the chart now it was up to the colors 

I entered my classic black background first (most of my Vizzes are born like this).

I tried various color combinations, avoiding the classic pink and blue combinations. I was going to give up and tear off the dashboard! I couldn't find the right combination. I just wanted one color to get my message across and at the same time keep the waffle as light as possible.

And here's the enlightenment!

I had a dark background, well, let's try a "monochrome" style! The only color that needs to be the center of attention is the women's color, padded white square immersed in the sea of billionaire men, empty black square.








Well it's done! But something was still missing ...

Here I entered my second message, the Rank. In order to show that it is necessary to reach the thirteenth place of this ranking to find the first woman.



Finish!

Viz link

Hope you enjoyed the process.

Cheers,

Saverio 





Comments